How to Make a Christmas Ornament Wreath

How to Make A Christmas Ornament Wreath

For years, I have been buying ornaments at thrift stores and after Christmas sales to make ornament wreaths for my kids teachers and other extra special people.
*Update – I’ve made a how to Christmas Ornament Wreath Video. See it below.
Vintage Christmas Ornament Wreath / detailed ornament wreath tutorial / http://www.mommyiscoocoo.com/

Christmas Ornament Wreath

Supply list:

1. a foam wreath (DON’T buy floral foam) (buy your wreath here)
2. glue sticks (buy those here)  and a glue gun
3. spray paint (to color the foam wreath.  I used this  color)
4. about 50 ornaments (I recommend these ornaments  to go on the outside and vintage ornaments for the top.
5. spray on glitter (buy it here)
6. a small piece of ribbon to hang your wreath

ornament for how to make a christmas ornament wreath http://www.mommyiscoocoo.com/
Spray paint your foam wreath. You can use whatever color you want but keep in mind some paint will show  between your bulbs.
Place your bulbs on the inside of the foam wreath. (Don’t use your favorite bulbs on this part! A lot of these bulbs will be covered up.) After you have placed your bulbs use your glue gun to secure them in place. You will glue each bulb to the wreath AND to the next bulb in place (I’m coocoo for hot glue).
Repeat this process for the outside of the wreath. I like to alternate the size of the bulbs and use sturdier (not vintage-they break really easily) bulbs on the outside. (Again, don’t use your favorite bulbs here).
Now you are ready to start placing your favorite bulbs (I find it is best to do this in the evening when you have {at least} a glass of wine.  If you are anal {me} and tend to over think things {also me} you will have a hard time figuring out where the bulbs should go).  Don’t over think it!  Place a few bulbs (not worrying about small gaps) and then glue them in place.  You can fill gaps with smaller bulbs at the end.  When you finish placing all your bulbs, decide what part is the top and weave your ribbon through.  Finally, spray your wreath glitter.  This will really make it shine!
*Store your wreath at room temperature!  Otherwise your glue will expand/contract and the bulbs will fall off and possibly break (causing your husband to wonder why you are crying in the attic in July holding your ornament wreath).

Video – How to make an ornament wreath

Vintage Ornament Wreath

I collected vintage (my favorite) ornaments for years.
I love Christmas Ornament wreaths!
Merry Christmas!!!
What is your favorite Christmas decoration?
Have a favorite Christmas project?

DIY project Parade linky party button

Hey, I love *your* wreath, too!!! Thanks for stopping by Ms. Redo and commenting on mine – next time we make one, let’s share in buying out a glue stick factory, right?!?!

Enjoy the holidays,

Mary

WOW! Your wreath is just so gorgeous. Thank you so much for the detailed instructions on how to make one. I saw your post over at “Weekend Bloggy Reading”. Your photography is wonderful too.

3. Gina says

I love your wreath, it is beautiful. Thanks for the great tutorial

Stopping by from your link at Funky Junk Interiors. Saw this wreath and thought it might be a way to use all those round ornaments that I’ve had for years. While I love them, I love even more the novelty ones on the tree so the round ones have been lonely in the box. Wreath, here they come so they can enjoy Christmas too! Thanks so much for the great tutorial!

SO SO SO pretty! I love it. I love all the colors and fun pieces you found!

Awesome, love your wreath and your humor! I want to make one but know that as anal as I am, I will need a vacation day and no interruptions from anyone to be able to do it!!

Love your vintage ornament wreath!
    Happy Pink Saturday..xo Tami

Absolutely gorgeous! Vintage glass ornaments make the best looking wreaths. (Unfortunately, we are still at the sturdy plastic phase at my house.)

love it all those great colors so very festive I have seen these in the past but your ornaments and the various colors are super cute

LOVE your wreath!!!!

I’ve never thought of searching for vintage ornaments, I think I’ll add them to my list to look out for in the thrift shops. :o)

Hi there, this is one of the prettiest wreaths I have seen in a very long time. Congratulations on such a fine job. I love the way you have incorporated the vintage balls into the wreath along with the newer ones. Absolutely lovely. Thanks for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

12. Anonymous says

Thanks so much for the tutorial. Love it. My son’s landlord made me a torqouise and silver wreath and I fell in love with ornament wreaths. Thanks to you I will try making one. I love the idea of the vintage ornament wreath. Off ahunting I will go… Merry Christmas and a very happy New Year.

Oh this is beautiful… I love the idea of using vintage ornaments rather than a pack of matching ones. One thing I might do to ease my paranoia about my favourite baubles falling off & smashing is thread fishing line through the loops & secure it to the wreath. That way if they do come loose they won’t actually hit the ground.
    Great tutorial & stunning wreath… I’m feeling inspired! :D

This is just beautiful! Glad I found you at Under the Table and Dreaming :)

Oh my goodness, I love this wreath! This is a great tutorial and I am so happy to find it!

So cute! I love the bright and cheery ornaments! It adds such a fun pop of color!

Very pretty. I love all the different colors; it’s very festive!

• Amanda says

Awesome! Let me know how it turns out.

Trackbacks