Five Panel Door turned Towel Rack

Five Panel Door turned Towel Rack

Antique Door

I’ve mentioned a few different times (or, on SEVERAL different occasions if you happen to know me) I love doors especially old doors. Ever since I found an old door in the alleyway behind my home my passion has grown and grown. A few weeks ago, I was on the hunt for (buried) treasure and I found this:

An old five panel door with several layers of peeling paint on it.
I was especially intrigued by the door because it was smaller than most. The width is just under two feet. I figured it was probably used for a bathroom or closet at some point. This got me thinking!! For a long time I have wanted something unique for my daughters bathroom for towels, robes, etc… My daughter’s room used to be our guest bedroom and will still occasional function in this capacity. I wanted our guest to be treated to something unexpected.
~This is what I came up with ~

~ Pearls Bathroom Towel Rack ~

After sanding and scraping and sanding and sanding and sanding, I painted the door off white. I hung the door on the wall behind Pearl’s actual bathroom door (the brown door with blue dress). To hang the door, I placed a cinder block on the floor (to hold the door up-it’s really heavy) and then I mounted the door to the wall by drilling large screws through the door into the wall studs.

Go me!  I was channeling my inner Rosie the Riveter.

Imagine my delight when I went to move the door from the warehouse into my truck and I found two vintage towel bars on the other side of the door. It was meant to be (eventually, I removed the towel bars and spray painted them pink).

~ Pretty Towel Bars ~
I didn’t cover up the holes where the doorknob used to be. I think it makes it more interesting. You definitely know this thing on the wall used to be a door and I may add a doorknob in the future.
This perch on top of the door is the perfect spot for the bird my book club best friend T-Bell made for me my daughter (T-Bell is coocoo for making birds right now).
Pearl doesn’t use this bathroom yet (she is the baby of three and bathes with her brothers, poor girl) I’ve hung some pretty blankets on the door. If you are over for a visit and need to pee walk right by the powder room and head up to Pearls bathroom. It is lovely and definitely the cleanest bathroom in the coocoo home.
Would you have bought this door if you saw it for sale at an old warehouse?
Do you have an upcycle at your house that you just love?

*Please visit my affiliates…
I love everything from Layla Grayce
Shop at The Land of Nod for amazing kids stuff
If you are looking for wall decals visit here
Tea Collection has AWESOME clothes for women and kids

I frequently link to these great parties…

Thanks so much for getting emails from mommy is coocoo. You ROCK!

Hi lovely lady.
    You did a Beautiful job putting this door together so sweet.
    I came over from How Sweet The Sound”” Im your newest follower on your blog now, hope you come over and join my Tablescapes.
    I hope you and your family have a wonderful Valentine’s Day.
    XXOO Diane

I love old doors! I used to have one just like that in my old house (which was built in 1898). Love how you’re using it in the bathroom and yes, I would leave it as is too. I like personality.

Gorgeous and fun! Way more interesting that just putting some towel bars on the wall. Love your linens and that crocheted blanket…mmmm…I’m drooling over that one! :)

Erin
    (visiting from the Be Inspired party – link #21)

This is so fabulous girl! I l-o-v-e LOVE it! Especially your sweet little HB fabric birdie at the top! You think of everything! Take care!

Trish

Love this project, You have been featured in today’s Saturday Spotlight Talent Show. XO, jen

this is really cool and crafty! It definitely looks cool with the doorknob holes still there <3

Excellent transformation. I do love the vintage pink towel bars, too. Happy Pink Saturday!

Absolutely wonderful unique idea! & fun, too.

I hope you will pop by to help us bring ‘angel love’ for a young girl who is sick.

Thank you.
    Have a beautiful PS weekend ~
    Marydon

I’m back perusing your blog cause I just loved it yesterday…my babes are sleeping and you have so much to glean from! I LOVE this! It looks great. Where in the heck do you find all your treasures?

I have a similar door I picked out of an old homestead (with permission, mind you!) and a couple of the center panel thingamabobs are missing…do you know what I mean? Any thoughts on what to do with the bad boy? Another quick question that you might be the right person to ask…I have an ancient of days toddler sized headboard & footboard that has chippy white nasty paint (probably lead filled) on it that I found in an outbuilding on our place…what can I do with these? I thought to add hooks to one that could be hung in a room…any other thoughts?

I realize this is now the longest comment in history, but the fact is, I like your blog, I like that you say COOCOO cause I’m always using that phrase…that Momma is coocoo! Cause this Momma has seriously gone & lost her marbles! :)

How utterly wonderful, from your find to your idea and transformation to your fun story. I am happy to know my way to the cleanest bath in the coo coo house too. So cute. I’d snap a door like that right up, except I probably wouldn’t have room in my car and I’d have to leave it at which point I would obsess about the door that got away for ever and ever. (I know because it has happened twice! Free ones on the side of the road I couldn’t get.) Heartbreak. Glad you rescued this one!
    Liz @ Quirky Vistas

I’ve seen old doors used for alot of things, but never this way, which really is great and adds interest to a room :) Great way to hang towels!

Thank you for sharing with the rest of us! Always great to see creative minds at work. :)

Visiting from Catch As Catch Can @ My Repurposed Life linky party
    Smiles,
    Suz @MaytagNMom
    NW Illinois
    Link To My Party Project This Week

It’s awesome! I stuck a door on the wall in my mudroom, too! But I really want to paint it again. I hate the color! I never even posted about it cuz it’s UGLY! hahahah…

Trackbacks