How to Glaze Painted Furniture

how to glaze painted furniture from mommy is coocoo with chalk paint china cabinet

See how I transformed a $60 craigslist table into this peacock blue masterpiece…

How to glaze painted furniture:

Or, as the coocoo momma would say, “How to add a little somethin’, somethin’ to your table!”  Weeks ago I wrote a post about a new kitchen table I bought  on Craigslist.

but my favorite was the blue dragon table I saw on Abigail Ahern’s design site.

So, out came my peacock blue paint, glaze, and lacquer and my cheap table became the focal point of my family eating area.
I assume if you see my before and after pictures you will know you can buy a table and do the same thing.  However, my sometimes coocoo momma told me I need to incorporate more instructions into my blog posts so…

How to glaze painted furniture coocoo momma style:

{Before I get started, I would like to say you can do it too! It’s not that difficult, I promise.}
  • I bought a gallon of peacock blue paint from Wal-Mart (cost about $13).
  • I lightly sanded the top of my table with my sander.
  • (and then) I just started painting (see it’s really not that difficult). Paint the entire table and let all the paint dry.
  • Now it’s time to glaze. I bought Valspar Color Glaze.
  •  Mix the glaze with whatever paint color you want to add to your already painted furniture.  Does this seem scary?  It’s not.  I chose black paint but you could use whatever color you like (I’ll have more options for you in future posts).
  •  I mixed equal parts glaze and black paint.  If this is your first time to glaze don’t freak out, you may want to start out with more glaze and less paint.  You can always add more paint to your glaze/paint mixture.
  •  Make sure your table is clean (wipe all the dust off from when you sanded).
  •  Start glazing! It’s just like regular painting now (clearly, you don’t need a new paint brush).  I like to use long horizontal paint strokes.  Don’t panic if you get too much paint in one spot! Keep your brush moving.  You are going to love it!

• After your first coat of glaze dries decide if you want to add more (I did because I wanted my table to be a little bit darker.  It’s all about preference).

I never had a round table growing up.  Did you?
I really enjoy how close we are now when we are eating.  Since there is no chance I am going to be able to eat a meal without helping  other people, the round table makes it much easier for me to serve, cut food, wash hands and faces, and give Scary Mommy looks when the coocoo kids aren’t eating their food.
I’d like to learn from you (and buy more furniture)!
Have you incorporated any furniture that makes life easier?
Thanks so much for getting emails from mommy is coocoo. You ROCK!

This comment has been removed by the author.

I LOVE the peacock blue table! As you know, I have pretty much the exact same round table in my dining room. I’ve been wanting to paint it for a long time and in some shade of blue. Thanks for all of the instructions because I am one of those people that needs EVERY detail…who knows, I might get it done soon!

HOLY CRAPOLY! WOW- You outdid yourself on this one, sistah! I absolutely love it. It turned out fantastic! xo Diana

LOVE the peacock blue! We have been enjoying our big round red table ($30 from the Goodwill plus a little paint!) for a few years now. It leaves more space in our small dining area and keeps us close enough to cut meat for little people or pass the potatoes.

It’s gorgeous! Love that color. Just need to figure out where to put it.

Love this table! There’s something great about customizing your furniture that you just don’t get when you purchase the same thing. I’m redoing the fabric on our kitchen chairs (hopefully) soon, and might even do something with the table too! We had a round table growing up, what I like best about round/oval tables is that you can squeeze more people around them!

Looks great! New follower here – hope you will stop by and do the same!

Awesome color, not only on the table, but on your walls, your china cabinet, everything! Love it! When are you gonna paint those chairs! ;-)

Beautiful job! Love the color! It looks like my French doors! Great minds DIY alike. It’s like we’re cousins! ;) lol! I love the entire room!

I love this color, LOVE it!! It looks great, I bet the round table would be a lot easier, I will have to keep a look out for one of those! Thanks for sharing and I am a new follower!
    I hope you have a great week!
    Michelle

LOVE!!! And now I”m dying to try glazing… I’m literally sitting at my computer eyeing/thinking about every single piece of furniture in my house trying to decide what to tackle! :)

Oh so pretty! Following your blog through Mom’s account (chubskulit).

Hope you’d come and link with me in my Color Connection meme through my PINK entry.

Lovin the table…………..gorgeous color. 8-)

LOVE THIS! You did an awesome job. What a helpful tutorial! I have an old buffet that needs some major re-doing so maybe I’ll do this! I love the peacock blue color too. What a great kitchen as well!

Jacinda
    loveyellowcloth at gmail dot com

The table is just beautiful!! Great job. We are so glad you came to another week of our fun “Strut Your Stuff Saturday”. Please join us again! -The Sisters

Trackbacks